Meteorology is the science of weather and climate and much more! It is a geosciences discipline deeply rooted in physics, investigating atmospheric processes by experimental-empirical and theoretical methods. Besides to physics and mathematics, it also has connections to chemistry, oceanography, hydrology, and geography.
Other than in the bachelor program in meteorology, where the scientific foundations are laid, here students have extensive freedoms to structure their curriculum according to their personal preferences. From the first semester on, staff from the various research groups systematically prepares them to research which they will do for their master’s thesis. Possible directions are
- Experimental research
- Theory of atmospheric dynamics and climate
- Mesoscale processes and climate
- Aerosols and environment
Expertise is deepened by a wide choice of courses and a minor subject. The volume of the latter can be between 10 and 20 CP.
As a research-oriented institute, we can offer a wide variety of topics for master’s theses, and later on also doctoral theses. Other advantages are small groups, excellent international collaborations and, certainly, modern equipment. Frankfurt itself is the university site closest to the German Weather Service (DWD) an important employer of well-trained meteorologists. Moreover, Frankfurt also is a leading economic center in the country, with many other good employment options.
- BSc in Meteorology or
- BSc in Physics with a meteorology minor no less than 20 CPsor
- an equivalent university degree with no less than six semesters duration.
- University may demand additional courses (max. 32 CP) to be taken from the BSc Meteorology program
- a 1 to 2-page statement of motivation why the candidate considers herself/himself eligible and what plans she/he has.
- With a GPA worse than "befriedigend" (3,0) applicants must appear to a consultation with teaching staff.
- Applicants who do not have a German university entrance qualification, nor do they have a degree from a German higher education institution, are obliged to submit proof of adequate German language skills.
Applicants from Frankfurt University not having finished their BSc program can get preliminary admission under presentation of their Transcript of Records, if
- at least 150 CP have been earned, with a GPA not worse than 3,0 („befriedigend“) and if
- the Bachelor thesis has already been begun, which is to be certified by the advisor.
Mode of admission
Admission is not restricted. Students will be directly admitted if the admission requirements are met in full.
Αυτή η σχολή προσφέρει προγράμματα σε:
Τελευταία ενημέρωση February 4, 2018